Thursday, May 9, 2013

Transitional Living Suite (TLS)

As promised, I advised that I would be playing catch up.

Donte has made some pretty significant gains since he first entered the rehab hospital. When he first entered the rehab hospital he was unable to assist with most of his movements, his tone was so severe that his left arm was bent at a 85 degree angle, he was able to talk, but he would only answer yes or no questions and was speaking in a very soft whisper. Donte still had his feeding tube in and was still on a restricted diet, where he was only allowed to eat soft solids. Donte was unable to hold his trunk balance and had very minimal awareness of his body. Donte is now doing most of his movements at a moderate assistance level (where he is doing 50% of the work) or a minimal assistance (where he is doing 75% of the work). Donte is still unable to walk, but he is definitely making gains that are assisting in the completion of that goal. Donte's tone has gone down such that the degree to which his left arm is bent is now at 35 degrees. Donte is now able to communicate more complex thoughts and feelings and follow more complex demands. He is still struggling with volume but he is a lot louder than a whisper and sometimes, if he gets really excited or frustrated, he can demonstrate the appropriate volume level for such a sentiment. Donte is on a diet with no restrictions and is able to order what he would like to eat daily with minimal assistance. His feeding tube was removed and he has put on a lot of weight since he came up to the rehab hosiptal. I am very proud of the gains my husband has made and how hard he continues to work each and every day. He is truly, the strongest person I know.

Not sure if I mentioned this, but Donte has gotten a relead date of May 15, 2013. We were so grateful when we received that tentative date because that gave us something to count down to. And I am not sure I ever mentioned this, but as a type A personality, I can tell you that I had already planned for Donte to come home by May 31, 2013 based on the average stay in the hospital with someone who sustains a severe TBI. I was happy to know that A) I was not too far off and B) that he would be coming home sooner than I anticipated. And I know it is no surprise that Donte is just about as elated as a kid in a candy store. He has been keeping the BEST count of the days he has left and never forgets to remind me as soon as I come into his room for my daily visit.

Since Donte's arrival is just around the corner, Donte's case manager has made the wonderful suggestion of us utilizing what is called the Transitional Living Suite or TLS. The TLS is an apartment styled space within the hospital that allows couples like Donte and I to get a taste for life outside of the hospital, while still having access to nursing and doctors should something happen. During our stay, we were responsible for his medication, washing clothing, toileting, showering, cooking and cleaning and transfering from wheelchair to bed or sofa.

I am not going to lie and say that this was not difficult, especially since last time I was in an "apartment setting" with Donte, he was able to do everything for himself. What I will say is that I had mentally prepared myself for the absolute worse, which kind of made things a bit easier. The hardest thing for us, was the transfer into the shower. We could not get a grip on the shower chair and we both got really frustrated. But, this is all part of the process. I am sure that similar to the way marriage is for everyone, we will have moments where we laugh together, moments where we cry together, and moments were we yell together. The point is, we are in this together, right?

And for those of you that know me on a personal level, know that I am not the "cooking" type in any facet. I want to let you know that I, Kelliann Miranda-Baltimore, made tacos AND my tacos, were good as hell. And Donte Miranda-Baltimore (my husband) ate the HELL out of those tacos. Now, whether he ate them like that because it was his first home cooked meal in a while and because he was sick and tired of hospital food...well we will never truly know that answer but, the point is he ate the tacos, he said they were good, and no one got sick. LOL.

We are scheduled to do another TLS stay this weekend as by this time next week, Donte will be at home. I will keep you guys posted on how that one goes, although I anticipate with one TLS stay under our belt, this one will be a breeze.

Donte has requested French Toast, lol- I will let you know how that one goes too.

Stay SAFE, Stay STRONG, Take CARE and Have HOPE!

Kelli

No comments:

Post a Comment