Thursday, May 16, 2013

Welcome Home!

Well, the day finally arrived..

It has been a excruciatingly long and grueling 4.5 months, but my husband is FINALLY back home. Honestly, all I can just be is thankful. Am I still nervous about the journey that lies ahead, the future bumps in the road, yes I am. But at the end of the day, atleast Donte and I still have a journey to travel on together. Our journey together could have ended on the early hours of January 26, 2013, but they didn't. Whatever hardships we have in the times that lay ahead, we have already over come the hardest of the hard (in my opinion) and we still never hit the worst of the worst (meaning death). And we will always be on this journey together, which is all that matters in the end.

I arrived with both of my parents at Wake Medical Trauma Hospital at 8:50 am. We stood in the hospital until 11:30. We met with his case manager, his physical therapist, his occupational therapist, his recreational therapist and his physicians assistant for some last minute trainings, bids of farewell and discharge instructions. Donte was prescribed about 11 medications to take daily; from what I am told only 3 are lifelong medications, which in my opinion is not that bad considering the injury he sustained and considering the fact that I, myself, am on 1 lifelong medication for anxiety.

As we loaded up the car and got Donte into the front seat, all he could do was smile from ear to ear because he was elated to be leaving the hospital after a nearly 1/2 year long stay. Donte stated that he wanted to eat at Dairy Queen and he ordered a chicken tender basket with a strawberry banana smoothie.

Once we got home we got him into the house and he ate his food and thoroughly enjoyed it. He took a little power nap for about 1/2 an hour and we were off to an appointment with the VA (Veteran's Affairs) Department. His appointment went well and left me hopeful that the military will cover the expenses to modify our home and make it handicap/wheelchair accessible. The meeting lasted an extremely long time and by the end of it all, both Donte and I were pooped, as were my parents. We drove home and picked up some dinner and had our first family meal together in four months in Donte and my bedroom. Donte seemed to really be relaxed and enjoyed himself. It took him absolutely no time at all to revisit social media through his electronic devices. By the time I had sat him on the couch and left him with my mother to run over to Target to pick up some necessary items, he had already liked all of my recent photos on Instagram, had updated his status and cover photo on Facebook and had commented on a couple of my posts on Facebook. His ability to work technology has definitely not changed at all, thankfully.

I can say honestly that manuvering Donte was not nearly as hard as I anticipated that it would be. Donte walked up the stairs with the assitance of my parents, he sat comfortably in the room and didn't complain of pain and he only needed to be changed once during the night- and from what I could tell, he slept the duration of the night. Administering his medication was not bad either. Most of them need to be administered 3 times daily, so I figure once in the morning, once at lunch and once at dinner. Those that need to be administered twice daily will get administered once in the morning and once in the evening and those that need to be administered once daily will get administered in the morning.

It felt really good to not sleep alone. And Donte held me for as long as he could. He may have changed a little bit, but the biggest fact that remains is that he still is the kindest and warmest individual I have ever met and he still has such a big heart. 

I am so excited to have him home. And I get more excited to see his level of excitement when he is at home.

In addition, one thing that is making the transition easier is the fact that Donte and I have so much love and support from areas that sometimes we are not even aware of. I made a post on Facebook about basic necessities that we would need to cover us until Donte's military benefits kicked into full gear and I have received SO MUCH positive feedback and generosity. It is beautiful to see God's love in so many people. And seeing the love and support from those around us truely keeps me strong during my weakest of moments. If you are someone who has helped, supported or loved us in any way- let me just take the time to thank YOU immensely. It is through faith, a lot of prayer, love and support that Donte and I have made it this far. All I ask is that you continue to do exactly what you are doing because it is helping in more ways than you can imagine in my husband's recovery.

Stay SAFE, Stay STRONG, Take CARE and have HOPE!

Kelli


No comments:

Post a Comment